Academic Integrity Office Tips for the Faculty: Proctoring in-person exams
It can be difficult to proctor in-person exams and keep them organized and orderly. Probably the two most important tips are to over plan and over-communicate. Being prepared and letting students know your expectations will alleviate most of the challenging issues. We are sure you have some great ideas but here are a few basic tips to consider:
- Before starting the exam, encourage students to do their best.
- Develop multiple versions of the exam to alternate among students.
- Ensure all cellphones, earbuds and smartwatches are put away.
- Announce that there is a no talking policy for the entirety of the exam.
- Decide and communicate how you will collect the exams when time is up.
- Reinforce that work must stop immediately.
- Try and secure help from colleagues, teaching assistants, graders, etc. to assist with proctoring.
- Make sure they know your expectations if they see academic misconduct occurring.
- Make notes for yourself on what you will do differently for the next exam.
For more information check out the Fulton Schools Academic Integrity Office webpage.