Digital Education News: Looking to the fall — ASU Sync
Recent world events have greatly altered how we view teaching and learning. This fall, many of our immersion (on-campus) students will have access to the following three learning environments:
- ASU immersion: On-campus, in-person, technology-enhanced learning environment.
- ASU Sync: Synchronous, technology-enhanced and fully interactive remote learning using live lectures via Zoom. This approach can be used simultaneously with in-person instruction to accommodate students in different circumstances and enable social distancing in classrooms or as a stand-alone technology. It offers the benefits of face-to-face instruction in an interactive group learning environment.
- iCourses: Courses delivered entirely online with lectures available on demand.
To support ASU’s continued efforts to improve learning for all students, UTO, EdPlus, and colleges and schools across the university are collaborating under the leadership of the Office of the University Provost to provide instructors with personalized professional learning opportunities to enhance remote teaching through ASU Sync.
These resources provide faculty support through organizing and customizing professional learning based on pedagogical interests, level of technology experience and subject matter to meet the specific needs of the students. On the Provost’s Sync Site for Faculty, you will find more information on:
- ASU Sync Training: This training will provide you with ideas and resources for teaching and learning in a sync environment. It will run July 13-24, 2020. It will have two different tracks available (facilitated and on-demand). Taught in Canvas, this two-week workshop covers topics including:
- Student success (including cultural responsiveness and inclusive practices)
- Reviewing your course with a Sync mindset
- Assessment strategies
- Active learning approaches
- Creating media
- Other Workshops and Webinars: Several units across ASU will be delivering relevant workshops and webinars. View the full list of topics, dates, times and registration instructions on this combined calendar.
- Virtual Office Hours: Instructional designers will be available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to assist with any questions related to course design, how to use technology tools for teaching and how to adapt your course to Sync. More information is on the Provost’s Sync site.