The default URL for an In the Loop post will include the month and the year of the expected publication date in addition to a hyphenated version of the post title. It is possible to change the hyphenated last part of the URL (called the slug) to make the URL for the post shorter or more memorable.
- Consider eliminating non-essential words like “and” and “the” from the resulting link.
You may indicate more than one of our pre-established categories for your event or news item by marking the appropriate checkboxes.
- Categories: What type of event or opportunity is this? Select all categories that apply.
- Audiences: Select the relevant audiences for this content, both people and campus locations. ASU-categorized opportunities are open to anyone at ASU, and Fulton Schools-categorized opportunities are those only open to the Fulton Schools community.
- Organizations: Does your content relate to a specific school or unit in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering? Use these categories.
- Series: These categories are for special recurring series from the Academic Integrity Office, FSE Learning and Teaching Hub or announcements from the dean. Most contributors will not use these categories.
- You will likely be choosing multiple categories.
- The marketing/communication team member editing your post may elect to recategorize your submitted story in order for it to appear in the most appropriate place within the site.
A featured image is an associated photo or graphic that can be used to provide some additional context to an event, opportunity or news post. You may upload an associated image using the controls in the right sidebar.
- Clicking on the gray square to Set Featured Image will allow you to see all of the images uploaded into In the Loop in the past.
- You may upload your own image within this interface.
- You may not select a featured image that is already associated with another post or that has not been uploaded by you. All of the uploaded images are visible to you, but you may encounter an error if you select an image that is already in use someplace else.
- If you did want to reuse an image from an older post, you can provide the URL to be reused via the Editorial Comments section of the editor.
Featured images display as the first piece of content within the body of the post. They are also used to provide a decorative thumbnail image that is associated with the post when it is listed on other pages across the site.
The excerpt for your post or article is a short summary of the contents of the article which displays on some of the archive pages for categories and tags. WordPress produces an excerpt of a published post based on the first 50 characters within the body of the article. If additional descriptions are needed or if the first 50 characters don’t accurately summarize the article, you may choose to create your own.
You may also elect to upload an attached flyer for your event or opportunity. These attachments to your opportunity or event will show up underneath the text just above the footer for the page. They will automatically have a “download” button associated with the attachment and should also include a thumbnail image of the PDF or attached document.
- Click Add Flyer within the sidebar to upload your attachment.
- Once uploaded, change the title to a reader-friendly short title. For example, change “Student-design-comp-flyer” to “Student Design Competition.”
- Clicking on the Edit button will also allow you to change the given title of the document and to add a description. Both of those text fields will show up within the body of the post.
- The attached file will not show up in the preview until the post is published.