The Secretary to the Assembly of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering (AFSE) is an officer elected from the FSE membership for a three-year term. In addition to the duties listed below, the Secretary to the AFSE is a non-voting member of the Executive Committee (EC) of the AFSE. The EC meets monthly to provide advice and recommendations to the Dean, and also provides communication to the AFSE regarding governance at the FSE level. A nominating committee has been formed by the EC and assigned the task of organizing the election of the Secretary. The nominating committee wants to give an opportunity to every interested member of the AFSE to be a candidate in this election.
As chair of the Nominating Committee, Cheryl Jennings is accepting volunteers to be a candidate for Secretary. Review the duties of the secretary, as described by the AFSE bylaws below. If you are interested in this prestigious and important position, please send an email to Cheryl Jennings at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, November 12, 2021. Questions regarding the responsibilities of the position should be directed to the current secretary, Dianne Hansford, at email@example.com.
Responsibilities of the Secretary to the AFSE, extracted from “Bylaws of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering, Arizona State University,” approved on August 14, 2019. Read the full document.
Article Three, Section B. The Secretary to the AFSE shall:
- Be elected for a three-year term from the FSE membership.
- Serve as a non-voting member of the executive committee of the AFSE.
- Edit the minutes and all announcements of the AFSE before they are published and/or distributed.
- Assist in the preparation of all documents necessary for the deliberations of AFSE, including the agenda, before they are distributed.
- Review the Bylaws of the FSE annually to update ACD policy manual references, propose amendments to these Bylaws necessary to maintain consistency with University policy, and ensure that the updated document is available to every current member via an appropriate website.
- Be assisted by an appropriate staff member appointed by the Dean. This staff member will take the necessary notes to prepare the minutes of the AFSE and will prepare other announcements for subsequent publications and/or distribution, as directed by the Secretary of the AFSE.