April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) and ASU has several opportunities for you to be part of a community-wide effort to prevent sexual violence. The national theme for SAAM this year set by the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) is “I Ask.” Your voices are influential in creating a caring and inclusive learning community where violence is not normalized or tolerated. “I Ask” is how we inspire our students to set an example for their peers and loved ones, and how we change consent from being prescriptive to empowering.
Here are some ways you can be involved:
- Participate in Denim Day by wearing jeans on Wednesday, April 24, 2019, and protesting the myths that still surround sexual assault. Request Denim Day stickers for your department by Wednesday, April 10, 2019, at 11:59 p.m.
- Let students know about Sexual Assault Awareness Month and how they can join the movement to prevent violence. Faculty can share these PowerPoint slides on your Blackboard page, in a class or electronically.
- Encourage students to attend a Sexual Assault Awareness Month event. For faculty, if you would like to offer extra credit for attending an event and would like to confirm their attendance, please contact email@example.com.
- Familiarize yourself with campus resources should a student want to report sexual misconduct. Request paper copies of the Sexual Misconduct Resource Guide or find more information about resources and reporting options online
- Share the sexual violence prevention posters in the “SAAM Social Media Guide” on your department social media pages.
Thank you for your support, and please feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.