PITT Future Faculty Development Program (PITT-FFDP) is an expense-paid two-day program for doctoral and post-doctoral scholars from traditionally underrepresented groups (URG) in their STEM research fields, and who are interested in an academic career. The program is designed to identify the scholars toward the end of their doctorate or post-doctorate programs but early in their beginning search for faculty career in the STEM field.
PITT Future Faculty Development Program
Thursday, October 25, 2018–Saturday, October 27, 2018
University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering
Apply by Tuesday, July 31, 2018
- Better understanding of academic career and the professoriate through structured presentations, discussions/dialogues with department heads, deans, and early career faculty members;
- Better understanding of the research areas and opportunities at SSoE through guided tours to research facilities, Research Labs/Centers, and departments.
- Greater awareness of how to navigate the cultures of research, teaching, learning and service and support opportunities, and how these elements define academic culture relative to tenure and promotion;
- Greater understanding of employment packages and negotiation, grantsmanship and collaborations in research intensive institutions;
- Early exploration and discussion of career prospects with department heads.
- Be a PhD or post-doctoral scholar within 1-2 years of seeking a faculty position;
- Demonstrate academic career and research interests that are aligned in one or more of SSoE departments and programs;
- Demonstrate how their inclusion will contribution to SSoE diversity and inclusive excellence;
- Be a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
Please fill out and submit an online application using the link below. You will be required to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter that includes your statement of diversity
- Teaching statement
- Research statement