What to Ask and How To Ask It: Queer and LGBT professionalization skills and issues in the university
A panel discussion for graduate students
Wednesday, Nov. 20
2:00 – 3:30 pm
West Hall 135
This panel is designed for graduate students in any school at ASU who identify as LGBTQ. During the informal panel, a number of faculty members will discuss aspects of professionalization specific to queer and trans aspiring academics. Some of the topics covered will include:
- The pros and cons of the “diversity hire.”
- Community building while you’re on the job market.
- How to negotiate relationship disclosure on the job market.
- Finding and asking for mentorship from queer/trans senior academics in your field.
- Tailoring LGBTQ-related research so it’s relevant to non-queer-friendly departments.
- How to tailor LGBTQ service and research interests on job market materials.
- Finding friends in professional organizations.
- Getting support when things go wrong.
- Lisa Anderson, graduate director, gender studies PhD program
- Kenro Kusumi, associate dean of graduate programs, CLAS
- Gabriel Escontrías, managing director, Learning Sciences Institute
- Aren Aizura, assistant professor, Women and Gender Studies