Did you know that you, as an ASU employee, have access to professional development courses such as Presentation Skills and Fundamentals of Leadership to help you succeed in both your professional and personal life? Best of all? Most course offerings are free! Check out current courses and register online—Look for the Employee LMS button. Classes fill up quickly, so sign up for one today!
Sign up for the VIP email list and receive advance notice of classes before they are listed on our website. Send an email Cory Dillon at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to join the list.
Courses are held in USB 1302 [map] and are free unless otherwise noted! Remember, parking is limited at USB and costs $1 an hour, so carpool, hike, bike or cart yourself over!
- Dealing with Difficult People–Downtown campus Who are the difficult people in your workplace? Tanks? Snipers? Know it alls? The bad news is that we can’t make difficult people change. The good news? We CAN break free of their influence! July 25, 9-11 a.m., Cronkite 122
- How to Optimize Your Brain (nearly full!) Want to know how to schedule your day to accomplish more? Or how you can work more effectively with others? David Rock, founder of the NeuroLeadership Institute, knows how the brain works—and more specifically, how it works in a work setting! No cost. Format: YouTube video with guided debrief. July 17, 1-3 p.m.
- Crucial Conversations Learn to step up to problems in the workplace and hold other people accountable in a way that solves problems and preserves working relationships. Crucial conversations are conversations where the viewpoints differ, the stakes are high and the emotions run strong. Based on the bestselling book, Crucial Conversations, this two-hour workshop provides a brief introduction to the key concepts and plenty of time to practice a new skill. August 28 or September 25, 10 a.m.–noon
- Presentation Skills This course offers simple, easy-to-practice tools to cope with nerves, get the presenter’s message across memorably, structure material for the best impact and present information effectively to audiences of varied sizes. Aspects of presentations discussed are effective public speaking, PowerPoint presentations, and Do’s & Don’ts of presentation skills. September 25, 1-3 p.m.
- Fundamentals of Leadership In this course, participants will learn about and discuss leadership components, identify characteristics of successful leaders, and evaluate personal strengths and weaknesses. A great workshop on the foundations and fundamentals of core leadership skills. September 18, 1–3 p.m.
- Transferable Skills and Interests The workshop will be a transformative moment in your working life! Promise! You’ll have one of the most useful, powerful tools in your career management toolbox—you’ll know how to talk about your strengths! After this workshop, you’ll be among the distinct few who can articulate their strengths. September 18, 10 a.m.–noon
Can’t get out to a workshop?
We have Blackboard sites that are available when you are! Contact Cory Dillon (email@example.com) for access to “Managing Your Career” or “Know Thyself,” on Blackboard. Here’s an example of the content:
- Managing Your Career These self-guided, online “workshops” quickly teach you to sell yourself more effectively and to identify your most enjoyable career path. Assess your abilities and learn to talk about yourself more effectively! Update your resume and create a cover letter that’s incredibly effective! Learn to “manage up” and work harmoniously with your leader! And more!
- Know Thyself The ancient wisdom of knowing yourself was never more applicable than to day! You’ll find here a collection of free self-assessments to help you know yourself better! What’s your skill set? How strong is your emotional intelligence? What other kinds of intelligent are you? What’s your social style? And more!