On November 17, we held our fourth annual faculty awards celebration. The lunch was a celebration of faculty accomplishments—for excellence in supporting our core mission and for external recognition and awards.
First, we recognized our top educators, as selected by combined input from students and peers. I have great respect and affection for these faculty because our most significant long-term impact will always be through the students that we prepare, and these faculty clearly are deeply committed to our students’ success. Michael Caplan, David Frakes, Bruce Towe, Yann-Hang Lee, Mutsumi Nakamura, Farideh Tadayon-Navabi, James Aberle, Chris Lawrence, Brooke Mayer, Paul Westerhoff and Avi Wiezel were all recognized for their respective Top 5% Teaching awards. Marcus Herrmann was recognized as the recipient of the Top Teacher in Engineering and Jim Collofello was the recipient of the Daniel Jankowski Legacy Award. Jason Lueke and Brooke Mayer both received honors for their role as EPICS Gold Faculty Mentors.
Next we recognized professional accomplishments, ranging from early-career, to mid-career, to later-career awards. These are also very special awards because the recipients are selected externally and from national and international competitions. Our reputation depends in part on how people outside of ASU view the quality of our faculty and students, and these awards are validation that we have an excellent faculty on par with the best engineering schools.
Marcus Herrmann and Rosa Krajmalnik-Brown were recognized for their NSF CAREER awards and Veronica Santos as an Innovative Young Engineering Educator.
We also recognized Huan Liu, ACM Distinguished Scientist; Guoliang Xue and Tolga Duman, IEEE Fellows; Nong-Jiang Tao, AAAS Fellow; Ronald Adrian, 2010 Leonardo Da Vinci Award/International Symposium for Flow Visualization; Werner Dahm, U.S. Air Force Exceptional Civilian Service Award; James Middleton, 2011 Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award from the University of Wisconsin; G. Edward Gibson, Jr., Construction Industry Institute Distinguished Professor Award; Mike Mamlouk, 2010 Arizona Pavements/Materials Conference Community Service Award; Bruce Rittmann, 2011 Excellence in Environmental Engineering Award from AAEE and International Water Association Fellow.
We want to know about your awards and accomplishments so that we can communicate and celebrate all of them—please remember to share your good news.
- Michael Caplan, Top 5% Teaching Award
- David Frakes, Top 5% Teaching Award
- Bruce Towe, Top 5% Teaching Award
SCHOOL OF COMPUTING, INFORMATICS, AND DECISION SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
- James Collofello, Daniel Jankowski Legacy Award
- Yann-Hang Lee, Top 5% Teaching Award
- Huan Liu, ACM Distinguished Scientist
- Mutsumi Nakamura, Top 5% Teaching Award
- Farideh Tadayon-Navabi, Top 5% Teaching Award
- Guoliang Xue, IEEE Fellow
SCHOOL OF ELECTRICAL, COMPUTER AND ENERGY ENGINEERING
- James Aberle, Top 5% Teaching Award
- Tolga Duman, IEEE Fellow
- Nong-Jiang Tao, American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow
SCHOOL FOR ENGINEERING OF MATTER TRANSPORT AND ENERGY
- Ronald Adrian, 2010 Leonardo Da Vinci Award from the International Symposium for Flow Visualization
- Werner Dahm, U.S. Air Force Exceptional Civilian Service Award
- Marcus Herrmann, National Science Foundation CAREER Award; Top Teacher in Engineering
- James Middleton, 2011 Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award from the University of Wisconsin
- Veronica Santos, Innovative Young Engineering Educator
SCHOOL OF SUSTAINABLE ENGINEERING AND THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT
- G. Edward Gibson, Jr., Construction Industry Institute Distinguished Professor Award
- Paul C. Johnson, Engineers Week 2011 Outstanding Educator of the Year, NGWA Keith E. Anderson Award, SERDP Research Project of the Year
- Rosa Krajmalnik-Brown, National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- Chris Lawrence, Top 5% Teaching Award
- Jason Lueke, 2011 EPICS Gold Faculty Mentor of the Year
- Mike Mamlouk, 2010 Arizona Pavements/Materials Conference Community Service Award
- Brooke Mayer, 2011 EPICS Gold Faculty Mentor of the Year; Top 5% Teaching Award
- Bruce Rittmann, 2011 Excellence in Environmental Engineering Award from AAEE; International Water Association (IWA) Fellow
- Paul Westerhoff, Top 5% Teaching Award
- Avi Wiezel, Top 5% Teaching Award