Catch a glimpse of our newest engineers in action in the E2 Camp boat building competition, one of the many activities for new freshmen at E2 Camp. Student teams are shown the supplies and given the rules on the first night of camp–but they can’t use the supplies until their assigned building time. However, they can talk and begin to plan throughout the evening. Teams are given one hour to build their boat on day two of camp.
Here are the rules:
- Must float
- Must support little green army men (they must be freestanding, cannot tape or tie them down)
- Must use at least one two-liter bottle
- Must be self-propelled
- Must be constructed in one hour of time specifically allotted for the team
- Can use baby pool to test for buoyancy before competition
- Must have the team name displayed on the boat
- No materials from the boat may be lost overboard once boat is in water
Here are the supplies:
|Plastic wrap||Legos||Plastic bag|
|Ping pong balls||Wire||Wire cutters|
|Thin wood boards||Balsa wood||Dowels|
|Popsicle sticks||2 liter bottle||Paper assortment|
|Rubber bands||Egg carton||Scissors|
|Wood Scraps||Lids||Small boxes|
|Electrical tape||Scotch tape|
Watch the results!
Thanks to Charles Silver for the video!