The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering invite internal nominations and applications for the position of associate dean for research.
The Engineering research enterprise has grown significantly over the past decade with strategic investments in new faculty, research infrastructure, and collaborative research programs. We seek an associate dean to promote Engineering’s research accomplishments, foster new initiatives, assemble faculty teams, build external relationships and enable the significant growth of its research activity.
This position reports to the dean. It is a 12-month appointment, renewable annually. The intention is to renew for at least three years.
- Appointment as a tenured faculty member in Engineering
- Appointment at the full professor level is desirable
- A proven track record of externally-funded research and nationally-recognized scholarly achievement
- Knowledge of government and industrial funding sources
- Success as a leader of a unit-, school- or university-level initiative is desirable
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to identify opportunities, establish priorities and lead strategic efforts critical to the success of Engineering’s research programs.
- Experience in working with large multi-investigator research programs
- Knowledge and experience in intellectual property and entrepreneurial opportunities desirable
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The associate dean for research leads a staff team, including the director of Research Administration and the Engineering safety officer, with responsibility for the following:
- Provide strategic direction for Engineering’s research programs with input from the faculty and school directors
- Develop external and internal partnerships that lead to funding for larger strategic initiatives, especially 3M (multi-million, multi-investigator, multidisciplinary) grants
- Build and enable faculty teams to respond to large (3M) initiatives
- Engage and enable new faculty in submitting significant research proposals (e.g., NSF CAREER)
- Champion and grow industry research engagement with Engineering
- Provide input to the dean and directors regarding faculty hiring
- Serve as Engineering’s representative to university level research organizations
- Coordinate graduate student fellowship support and recruiting through the school directors and graduate program chairs
- Provide proposal preparation assistance for large (3M) programs, approve research proposals submitted by faculty in Engineering on behalf of the dean, and monitor and suggest improvements to proposal submission and grant/award management
- Provide research data for internal and external reporting and strategic decision-making
- Lead Engineering’s cost-sharing research investments in coordination with the schools’ directors and with accountability from the investees
- Provide recommendations for research infrastructure investments including space allocation and renovation projects in coordination with the schools’ directors and with accountability from the investees
- Oversee the Engineering safety officer and director of research administration
Please submit letters of nomination to Annette Bowers in the Engineering Dean’s Office by July 15, 2011. The search committee will contact all nominees to gauge their interest and encourage submission of an application.
Please submit applications to Annette Bowers in the Engineering Dean’s Office by July 31, 2011. Applications should include:
- a letter of interest addressing the qualifications listed above,
- a current CV, and
- the names of three references.
The search committee will review all applications and recommend to the dean a list of candidates for formal interviews.