The Ira A. Fulton Schools invite internal nominations and applications for the position of associate dean for research.
The Fulton Schools’ research enterprise has grown significantly over the past decade with strategic investments in new faculty, research infrastructure, and collaborative research programs. We seek an associate dean to promote research accomplishments, foster new initiatives, assemble faculty teams, build external relationships and enable the significant growth of its research activity.
This position reports to the dean. This is a 12-month appointment, renewable annually, with the expected appointment to be for approximately three years.
- Appointment as a tenured faculty member in the Fulton Schools
- A proven track record of externally-funded research and nationally-recognized scholarly achievement
- Knowledge of government and industrial funding sources
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to identify opportunities, establish priorities and lead strategic efforts critical to the success of Fulton Schools’ research programs.
- Experience in working with large multi-investigator research programs
- Appointment at the full professor level is desirable
- Knowledge and experience in intellectual property and entrepreneurial opportunities is desirable
- Success as a leader of a significant level initiative is desirable
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The associate dean for research leads a staff team, including the director of Research Administration, the Schools’ safety officer, and the assistant dean of facilities with responsibility for the following:
- Provide strategic direction for Fulton Schools’ research programs with input from the faculty, the advisory board, and school directors
- Provide leadership in maintaining a safe environment and promoting a safety ‘culture.’
- Develop external and internal partnerships that lead to funding for larger strategic initiatives, especially 3M (multi-million, multi-investigator, multidisciplinary) grants
- Engage and enable new faculty in submitting significant research proposals (e.g., NSF CAREER)
- Champion and grow industry research engagement with the Fulton Schools.
- Serve as Fulton Schools’ representative to university-level research organizations
- Coordinate graduate student fellowship support with the school directors and graduate program chairs
- Provide proposal preparation assistance for large (3M) programs, approve research proposals submitted by faculty on behalf of the dean, and monitor and implement continuous improvement of the pre- and post award research process.
- Provide research data for internal and external reporting and strategic decision-making
- Lead cost-sharing research investments in coordination with the schools’ directors and with accountability from the investees
- Provide recommendations for research infrastructure investments including equipment maintenance, space allocation, and renovation projects in coordination with the schools’ directors and with accountability from the investees
Please submit letters of nomination to Annette Bowers in the Engineering Dean’s Office by March 21, 2014. The search committee will contact all nominees to gauge their interest and encourage submission of an application.
Please submit applications to Annette Bowers in the Engineering Dean’s Office by April 4, 2014.
Applications should include:
- a letter of interest addressing the qualifications listed above,
- a current CV, and
- the names of three references.
The search committee will review all applications and recommend to the dean a list of candidates for formal interviews.